Pages

Ads 468x60px

About

Blogger news

Blogroll

Thursday, August 23, 2012

I DID IT!

So, I've been working with kettlebells a bit lately. They are totally kicking my butt! Who knew that swinging a big metal ball around would be so much work. lol  On the Friends and Families weight loss challenge, one of my goals at the beginning of the month was to get through Lauren Brook's first workout on her The Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells DVD
. The first time I tried it, less than half way through, my legs felt like jello and I literally collapsed and just felt like I couldn't move anymore. I'm happy to report that yesterday, I made it through the entire workout! Granted, I had to modify two of the exercises, but still...I'm proud of myself! For the mountain climbers, my hands were up on the couch and for the Russian twists, my feet were on the floor. I think that by the end of the month, I'm going to be able to do it without modifications!

As I was walking to pick Allie up from school today (she's my youngest and just started kindergarten!), I marveled at how far I have come in less than two months. I'm embarrassed to admit what I'm going to admit right now, but I'll do it anyways. I live about two blocks away from the elementary school. My children all walk to school in the morning and those that stay all day, walk home together. Last year, my second to youngest, Sera, was in first grade. She got out early, so had no one to walk home with, so I picked her up from school every day. Remember how I said I live about two blocks away from the school?  I DROVE to pick her up every day. Seriously. Two blocks. I was so tired and so sore and so lazy that I couldn't even walk four blocks a day. A couple of times, I decided I was going to lose weight and get healthy. I decided I would walk to the school to pick her up. By the time I got there, I was sweating like a pig and out of breath. TWO BLOCKS!!! My back hurt, my lungs hurt, I probably smelled bad. It was embarrassing. Then, I still had to walk home! Needless to say, I drove to pick her up the next day. Two days ago was the first day of school. Of course, I was going to drop my kindergartener off that day. So, I had to make a choice, drive them to school, or walk them to school. I was honestly going to drive. The memories of fat, sweaty, out of breath me, waiting for Sera in first grade, were fresh in my mind. However, the thought of that parking lot on the first day of school encouraged me to walk. I'm SO glad I did. As I walked my children to school, I was shocked...it wasn't that bad. By the time we got to school, I wasn't sweating. I wasn't panting. I was snapping pictures the whole way, laughing and chatting with my children. I got to my daughter's kindergarten class and I was able to chat with the other parents, encourage my daughter to go make friends, then happily send her into the world of formal education. I left and walked home. When I got home, it hit me...I wasn't dreading the walk home the entire time I was at the school. When I walked to pick Sera up from school the year before, the thought of, "Now I have to walk HOME!" was awful and daunting. I was so tired and sore just from walking there. It wasn't even a thought in my mind as I walked home that first day of school. The walk is trivial now. Of course, you're probably thinking, "It's TWO BLOCKS...of course it's trivial." It's not trivial when you're over 300 pounds. It's not trivial when that 300 pounds is resting on a knee that, at 135 pounds, couldn't always bear your. It's not trivial when you're so heavy and tired and lazy that, at 32 year old, you have to take a nap every day. However, take that person, add just under two months of Isagenix to them and suddenly it's trivial! Not only that, but I've been working out when I get home, then go walk to pick her up and it's STILL trivial!

I realize that to most people, this isn't a big deal, but to me, it's life changing. To me, it means the difference between watching my children grow up and participating in their lives. It means the difference between sitting on a park bench, watching my children play and being in the park, pushing them on the swings. It means the difference between sitting down with them and helping with their homework and waking up just long enough to maybe answer a question they have about their homework. I wasn't living before. I was existing...and just barely at that. I'm happy to say that I'm starting to LIVE again.

No comments:

Post a Comment